Mar 1, 2016

Mirage


Mirage nuzzled Ruth's hand and she realized she had stopped rubbing the mare's head. She reached up to scratch the lower part of the mare's neck and Mirage stretched her neck out, her bottom lip trembling in appreciation. "Am I crazy to be out here talking to horses who can't say anything back to me? I suppose that's why it's nice. I don't have to be quick on my feet or worry about what I say or how I say it. So I'm free to tell you that Emmett," Ruth leaned closer to the mare as she dropped her voice down to a whisper as if someone might be able to accidentally overhear, "is one nice hunk of meat."
The mare let out a snort of air from her nostrils and shook her head slightly. "Is too!" Ruth said.

~Grace Marshall
From my book coming out this June, No Pizza Delivery 

No comments:

Post a Comment